Friday, July 15, 2011

Author of the Month for July~Little Cat


I came across LittleCat358 by complete accident… actually let me rephrase that... it was luck… I subscribed to one of those great communities on FFn that post fun, new, well written stories. Unplanned Perfection (UP) was one of those stories I got that day, it was only about 5 chapters in at the time and I began to read, almost instantly from chapter one I was completely captivated. Of course I added the story to my alerts to that I could be notified each time she updated, and let me tell you every time that little email came into my phone, no matter where I was I ran to read it, sometimes sacrificing my eyes to read the tiny writing on my blackberry. The way that Littlecat writes grips you completely, she gives you enough information about the characters and the drama to make you crave more. The drama she adds is completely mystifying, her characters are well developed and have interesting histories… UP is now complete and she is posting a completely new story The Demons in my Dreams (DimD) but more on that story later… So here is our interview with this amazing author, we hope that you run out to read what she has so wonderfully written.

1.     Tell us as much about yourself as you would like to share.
           
            I'm a stay at home mom of three. I have my undergrad in Psychology and my Masters in Social Work, but am not really using it for employment. I work with a Domestic Violence shelter and I try to use what I know about human behavior when I'm writing. 
            I'm a runner and I love to snowboard, although my body is getting to the point where it's protesting when I push myself too hard. Doesn't stop me from doing it, I just need longer to recuperate. LOL.  I'm also a soccer and dance mom. My life kind of revolves around my kids, but I'm learning that I have to take care of myself too, which is harder than I ever thought it would be.
            I've been writing since I was about twelve. During the grunge phase I wrote a lot of really morbid poetry and I think my teachers thought there was something wrong with me, but I just loved the imagery that certain words created. From there I just started writing short stories and even longer ones. I had one when I was sixteen that was almost complete and I was going to try and submit it to a publisher, but I couldn't bring it full circle and eventually gave up on it. I never knew if I was any good.
            It's only been in the last three years that I've really started to get serious about writing again. I am absolutely loving it and it's always good to get the feedback.

2. How and when did you become aware of Twilight?

            I remember seeing the trailer for the first movie and thinking it would be fun to go see, but it never happened. A friend recommended it to me when it was coming out on DVD so I was able to watch it, but then had to borrow the books because there were parts that I really got confused at. The rest is history.  

3. When was the first time you came across FanFiction?
           
            I guess I didn't actually come across it, but rather was tossed in unceremoniously. My same friend who recommended the movie told me about fanfiction. At first I thought it was just a ridiculous thing, but she swore to me that it was fantastic so I dove in. She was right. I was stunned by the quality of writing. I have found so many amazing stories and authors and friends.

4. Where do get your inspiration for your stories?
           
            I have no idea. Sometimes it's a song, sometimes it's a personal experience. It doesn't have to be anything big. The story usually writes itself around that one tiny little plot bunny. I get ideas at the weirdest times too. If I'm given ten minutes of silence to think, I can have a whole scene planned out in my head, even if I don't have the story figured out yet.

5. Do you write for any other fandoms or just Twilight?
           
            No, just Twilight. It will probably always be that way. I'm not sure I could move on to other fandoms, but I guess I will never say never.

6. What are you favorite character to write?
           
            It depends on the story. You know what's funny is that my favorite character to write in UP was little Charlie. He almost became a part of my family. It was very weird. In DiMD, it's actually Emmett. He just reminds me of so many teenage boys I have known. I want to hug him and throttle him at the same time.

7. Who would you say is the easiest character to write for you?
           
            Surprisingly Edward. I love trying to think like a guy. I guess it doesn't really matter the story anymore, his thoughts flow better than the others. Although, if you ask a guy, maybe I'm getting it completely wrong. Who knows.

8. Who is your favorite Twilight character?
           
            I'm not sure I have a favorite. I like little bits and pieces of each of them, but if I had to choose, I would say Carlisle. It could just be because whenever I picture him I picture Pfach, but I love how confident, kind, intelligent and understanding he is. Being eternally sexy helps too.
           
9. Which character would you identify with the most?
           
            Are we talking the original Twilight or the fanfics I write? The original story I think Esme, although I'm not nearly as patient as her....or as proper. But I do tend to be a nurturer and that's how I see her.
            In fanfic it depends on the story. I always put a little bit of myself in the Bella character, especially in The Demons in My Dreams. I think she's more like me than UP Bella.

10. How has your experience with the posting sites been? I.e. Fanfiction.net, The Writers Coffee shop, Twilighted or any other sites you may post on.
           
            I only post on FanFiction.net and Twilighted, but it's been amazing, although I'm not a huge fan of the anonymous flames, but what can you do? You have to take the bad with the good.

11. Do you have any grievances with your experiences?
           
            Ah ha ha. Of course I do. I don't think I'd be human if I didn't. When I started posting UP, I never, ever expected the reaction that I got. The immense emotional reactions were a little overwhelming. And the range was incredible. The same scene in a chapter could have some people raging at Bella while others raged at Edward and still others raged at the family. And then a few raged at me. I can still remember the very first flame that I got and I was in tears. I thought, “why am I doing this?” I thought that over time I would grow thicker skin, but, not gonna lie, it's still tough.

12. What do you prefer writing - fluff, angst, smut
           
            I love writing angst and drama, but over the course of UP I've also learned that I like writing the other stuff too. I like to put a little bit of everything in my stories, especially humor. I think everyone needs a little extra humor in their life. Life isn't one big ball of angst so I try not to write it that way.
            The first lemon I ever wrote was Bella and Edward's first experience in UP, the not so nice one, and I was really nervous. It was meant to have a wide range of emotions in it and it was essentially Edward's introduction to the story. I had no idea how people were going to react. Now, I really enjoy writing them. I try to make it more about the thoughts and emotions than the actually actions, but sometimes a good f*ck without thought is needed too. LOL.

13. Do you bring personal experiences into your stories?
           
            I do, but I'm not sure I want to say which ones. LOL. It's a lot of little things. Little Charlie in UP was full of my own personal experiences with my kids. There are also little things. Probably too many to point them all out that have actually happened to me.
            DiMD is much more personal to me overall. I have taken a lot of true stories and meshed them together. It often takes me back to that place when I'm writing and I'm both nostalgic for those days and relieved that I'm not doing it anymore.

14. What kind of research do you do for your stories if any?
           
            I try to do as much research as possible, right down to checking out flight schedules to make sure that I have the timing right. I've had to do research on the legal system and the jail terms for various crimes. For DiMD, I have a lot of knowledge about the foster care system so I use what I know, even though it may not be the same in Washington State. If I don't know, I try to remember to admit it and ask for a little bit of creative freedom, cause when it comes right down to it, sometimes it's hard to find some of the info.

15. What is your favorite book and part of the Twilight Saga?
           
            It's been so long since I've actually read the books I can't remember. LOL.  Although I wasn't thrilled with many parts of Breaking Dawn, I have to admit that I'm a sucker for an HEA.

16. What is your least favorite?
           
            New Moon. Mostly because I couldn't handle the time apart. I kept looking ahead to see when Edward would come back. LOL. That was my least favorite part of the whole saga too.

17. Which was the first FanFic story you read?
                       
            I believe that it was Wide Awake. I was told that it was “The Holy Grail of Fanfiction.” How does one ever turn away from that? I had to read and I got sucked in.

18. If you write multiple fics, which one has been the most enjoyable for
you to write and why?
           
            That's really hard to say. UP was my first, my baby. It was a monster in so many ways. I think I ran the gamut of emotions along with the characters and readers. Sometimes for the same reasons, sometimes for different reasons. I learned a whole lot about my ability as a writer and about the “politics” of the literary world. It's also the very first story I've ever completed so it will always hold very special meaning for me.
            DiMD is close to my heart. I loved working in the foster care system, even though it sometimes felt like I was chasing my tail. I can't tell you how many hours I spent banging my head against my desk. But the kids made it worth it. Sharing that through writing a piece of fiction is really rewarding.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment